Citikey

The Christmas Steps were originally a shortcut to the Northern bank of the River Frome. In 1669, a wealthy wine merchant paid to have these steps built. During the 19th century the original lanterns were replaced by gas lamps which are still in use today. At the summit of the steps lays a plaque commemorating the construction of these steps. Shops and cafes line the sides of the steps.